A busy November

by Kristina Rhoades

There are so many exciting things going on for VPG and the MV-1! And with the end of the year drawing close, we�ve been busy! November was a productive month, with several events that happened to be close to my heart.
In early November, my husband Jacob (who also does contract work for VPG) and I had the opportunity to attend a small, but heartfelt, fundraiser for Shepherd Center with our CEO, John Walsh. For those that aren�t from the Atlanta area, or don�t have a spinal cord injury, Shepherds is an extraordinary hospital specializing in the treatment, care and rehab of spinal cord injury and other similar conditions.  The fundraiser was put on by a group of Georgia State students, one of which had a close friend who had suffered a spinal cord injury and done rehab at Shepherds. We showed the MV-1 to the college students � who always seem to appreciate innovation.  They did a great job and were able to exceed their fundraising goal for the hospital.
Later in the month, my family and I traveled to northern California for some business, but also got to spend Thanksgiving with family and see some great friends. We started in San Jose, where we joined some of the VPG team for the last Abilities Expo of 2012. Leo, Ian, Lori (one of our newest team members), Jacob and I worked with our regional sales manager and local dealers to educate attendees about the MV-1. As always, it was a pleasure reconnecting with old friends, making new ones and taking in all the positive energy that Abilities Expo creates. I say this time and time again, but the disability community that comes together for these shows is a group that I�m proud to be a part of. I continue to be inspired and motivated by each interaction.
Our next stop was Sacramento, where my husband, one-year-old daughter and I enjoyed the week in our old stomping grounds, surrounded by family. While we were there, we visited my childhood hospital, Shriners of Northern California, to show the MV-1. I was honored to return to a place that had such a positive impact on my life in so many ways. The last time I had been there was in 2005, when I was Ms. Wheelchair California, but memories of my many days there as a patient flooded back as we took a tour. I even saw some therapists and a nurse that were there with me, over 15 years ago. I was really proud to be able to share with them about the MV-1 and they seemed to loved it.
After our visit to Shriners, we stopped by the local MV-1 dealer, Destinations Mobility. They�re unique because they are the only one of our dealers that is a non-profit organization. We were greeted by the division manager, Richard Rosebush, and the CEO of their parent company, Linda Deavens. They gave us a tour and shared the story of their innovative organization. They really know transportation, as Paratransit Inc. has been a leading provider for accessible public transit in the Sacramento area for many years. Now, with Destinations Mobility, they are continuing to service the disability community by selling affordable accessible vehicles, including the MV-1.
When we returned to Georgia, our focus was back on Shepherd Center, as we visited the hospital to present an MV-1 for their exclusive use. Together with our CEO John Walsh, we were greeted by some of Shepherd Center�s executive team, including CEO Gary Ulicny, VP Scott Sikes and even Founder and Chairman, James Shepherd, himself.  Shepherd Center makes a difference in the lives of so many, and we know that the MV-1 can help support the great work they do! We hope staff and patients alike enjoy their new ride!
With each passing day, we're educating more and more people about the MV-1. Everywhere we go, people want to know what it is. I'll never tire of getting flagged over on the road to be asked what we're driving, or the look of appreciation I see from a wheelchair user when they realize it's actually purpose-built, or the glimmer of pride I feel from some as I explain that our vehicle is made in America. The MV-1 is changing the way the world looks at mobility and I'm so excited to be a part of it!