Freedom and independence, thanks to the MV-1

by Kristina Rhoades, Manager of Social Media, VPG

Yesterday was a big day for me. I accomplished something that most people do all the time � without even thinking � but to me, it�s a pretty big deal. Yesterday, my 13-month-old daughter and I ventured out of the house on our own for the very first time. And I�m still smiling from ear to ear.

For ten years, before I got pregnant, I drove a little pickup truck with flames on it. It was really cool, with a great stereo system and some other custom upgrades. With hand controls and a lift that hoisted my wheelchair into the bed of the truck, it was pretty much a symbol of my independence. When I got pregnant, however, it was clear that my little truck (or anything like it) wasn�t going to work for me anymore. So, over the last year and half plus, we�ve been searching for something that would allow me to keep my independence � with a baby.

Being a car enthusiast, I wasn�t thrilled about the fact that just about my only option was minivan. And I was disappointed to discover that after finally finding a converted vehicle that we thought would work, I wasn�t actually able to transport Kamryn alone. I remember feeling my heart sink when we realized that I couldn�t do it. So, for the first 13 and a half months of my baby girl�s life, we never went out on our own. I hated it. Luckily today, because of the MV-1, I�m singing a different tune.
I was unbelievably excited when my MV-1 arrived to our home last week. I left the house on my own for the first time in a while to do some Christmas shopping. And yesterday, with my husband standing back in case I needed a hand, Kamryn and I loaded up on our own. She was much bigger than the first time we tried an MV-1 together, so I wasn�t exactly sure how I was going to do everything.

To my delight, I was able to easily wheel up the long ramp with her in my lap. I just tied a scarf around our waists to keep Kamryn from sliding off. She�s still in a rear-facing car seat, so upon getting into the vehicle, I thought it would be best to put her in the backseat, transfer out of my chair next to her, then put her in her car seat. That also worked great and before I knew it, we were off!
When I got to my destination, I discovered I was able to unbuckle her from behind and lift her right out, while staying in my wheelchair. I realized I could do the same thing when putting her back in, which saved me a step! I used the short ramp and popped a wheelie when I exited the vehicle and it all worked perfectly! And I can only imagine that I was beaming when I wheeled into the restaurant to meet my mom and grandpa with my little girl in my lap � all ALONE! I will never, ever forget the feeling of accomplishment and relief that I felt. Now, there's nothing I can't do as a Mommy!
I must also mention the awesome new hand controls that are on my MV-1. They are made by a company called Kempf and are digitally-integrated into the vehicle. With an accelerator ring on the steering wheel, they look stock and give me more control than I�ve ever had before. I love them already and I�m really appreciative of the people at Kempf for putting them in.
Since joining VPG in April of 2012, I have grown to really believe in the MV-1. I love that it not only gives me independence with my daughter, but that it is also the safest option out there because it is purpose-built. Couple that with what I think is a really cool look and the fact that the MV-1 is made in America, and my previous expectations of what an accessible vehicle could be have been completely blown out of the water.

In closing, I want to recognize and give my sincere thanks to the innovative and creative people at VPG that brought the MV-1 to life - and continue to work hard everyday to improve it and get the word out. I�ve said it before and I�ll say it again, the MV-1 changes both the mobility and automotive industries and I�m so thrilled to be a part of it. If people think I was passionate about this vehicle before, now it hits me on a whole new level. The MV-1 changes lives - and now I know that from personal experience.
These photos were real-time and shot with an iPhone. We'll take some better photos of the whole process and share them via social media. So, don't forget to connect with VPG on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. To learn more about VPG or the MV-1, and to find a dealer near you, visit www.vpgautos.com. Happy New Year!