Abilities Expo Houston 2012

by Kristina Rhoades

This past weekend, my family and I were proud to join some of the VPG team in Houston for Abilities Expo. Like always, it was a fun and fast-paced weekend. We reunited with old friends and made new ones. We were exposed to innovative ideas and new opportunities. Each show reminds me of what a dynamic and passionate community I am a part of because of my disability, and I continue to be inspired by the people I meet and the experiences we all share.


In the relatively short time my husband and I have been working with VPG, we have already become like a family with our new colleagues. They are a group of passionate people that never get bored of experiencing the excitement people have about the MV-1. And having a mobility challenge myself, I truly understand how good it feels to know that an actual auto manufacturer finally took the time to design a vehicle with someone like me in mind. It's about time, and I'm thrilled to be a part of it.

As I said, we always meet great people at Abilities Expo and this year, one of my favorites was a young lady in a power chair that was attending the show with her family. She drove up into one of the vehicles and stayed there for a while. When her family was ready to move on, she hesitated and it was obvious, while she didn't verbalize it, that she liked the MV-1 and wanted to stay right there! I was happy to get to take a picture with her before she left and was warmed by the big smiles on her face. This is why we do what we do!


We eagerly look forward to attending the next Abilities Expo in San Jose in November, but will keep ourselves busy with lots of other events until then! For a schedule of dates and cities for Abilities Expo, visit their website at www.abilitiesexpo.com. Thank you to MV-1 of South Houston, MV-1 of North Houston and Ian Minicuci for coming out in support of VPG! Big shout outs to our friends at Colours WheelchairKempf Hand Controls, and Auti Angel of Push Girls! Learn more about the MV-1 and find your closest dealer by visiting our new website, www.vpgautos.com.