Celebrating the ADA in North Georgia

by Kristina Rhoades

This past weekend, I attended a great event in Northeast Georgia. The ADA Memorial 5K and 1K Freedom Stroll took place in Gainesville and this year, we celebrated the 22nd anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act. There was perfect weather, fun music and a what I thought was a good turn out. I enjoyed seeing my friend Justin, who organized the event, and meeting two nice guys that brought out their racing wheelchairs to participate in the 5K. They were pretty awesome!

VPG sponsored the event and I was proud to join Orlando Zeledon from MV-1 of Georgia in showing one of our universally accessible MV-1's. As usual, there was a positive reaction to the car and one woman, in particular, who had a daughter in a wheelchair, was excited to see a vehicle purpose-built for wheelchair access. I love seeing the excitement that the MV-1 generates.

One of the most surprising things I've found since I started working with VPG is just how many people are touched by some kind of disability. Just about everyone I know knows someone that could benefit from the MV-1. These vehicles improve quality of life and it's inspiring. Looking forward to the next event!

If you live in Georgia and want more information on the MV-1, you can contact MV-1 of Georgia by calling (888) 484-9132.